Located at the corner lot of junction of Jalan Dato’ Maharajalela (formerly Station Road) and Jalan Sheik Adam, this impressive Chartered Bank building dating back from 1924 still stands tall.
Firms such as Botly & Co., A.H. Whittaker & Co., Chartered Accountants, Evatt & Co. and Estate Visiting Agents Milne & Stevens occupied the Bank Chambers.
The Chartered Bank of India, Australia and China Ltd. opened a branch office in Ipoh in 1902. It provided credit to the Straits Trading Company and later the Eastern Smelting Company. The Perak Administration Report 1924 record, “At Ipoh a three-storied reinforced concrete building of fine architecture for the Chartered Bank” was constructed.
1902; 146 years ago
21-27, Jalan Dato Maharaja Lela, Kampung Pematang Ipoh, 30000 Ipoh, Perak
Take A Street view Tour.
Available, Along Jalan Sheikh Adam. Alternative at Municipal Car Park (Parking Lot)
Slightly similar to Penang’s Branch Designed by John McNeill and Charles Geoffrey Boutcher of Stark and McNeill and built by contractors Chin Ah Chin and Yong Ah Shing between 1926 and 1930, It combines Palladian, Classical and Art Deco architectural styles, and its extensive use of granite reinforced the bank’s reliable and solid reputation.
Columns facing to the road were used to carry the weight of the building’s structure, combined as a graphical element to make sure the building stand out in the middle of Ipoh’s City. Marked by large-scale profile, decorated by columns of Doric, Ionic or Corinthian pillars. Standard Chartered Bank buildings creates a welcoming mood to those who walk along the pathway to take a glance every single texture of the structure. Clustered doors and windows were built to represent that perfection.
Window façade remind us a bit about brits residences and its common to the local’s eyes especially the Malays. A pastel-coloured exterior was built in such ways as to represent classical perfection. Some part of the decorations were reduced to a minimum on the outside.
The Chartered Bank opened its Ipoh branch in 1902 and was a leading bank for tin industry back in the day, providing credit to Straits Trading Company and Eastern Smelting Company. The building is still occupied by the bank today, (THE STRAITS TRADING) 1907 which has been renamed Standard Chartered.
According to the fellow bank officers, Standard Chartered Bank was not the full owner of the building. Originally the bank party was the main owner who owns and managed almost all of the part of the building. However, around 1990s, Standard Chartered only operated in ground floor where it was used for management and administration for the bank. Meanwhile, level one and level 2 was rented to the institution and other company to run their operation. One of the renders was Price Water house Scoopers.