Masjid Panglima Kinta was believed as the first mosque built in Ipoh. It was built on 45,000 square foot land and the mosque was built at 8,288 square foot. Located on the east bank of the Kinta river right after Hugh Low Bridge, It was built by Dato’ Panglima Kinta Muhammad Yusuff in memory of his wife who passed away that year. Work The mosque featured Moghul and Neo-Classical architecture can be seen on the two tower (minarets) and on the dome in the middle of the building. The mosque was built beside a religious school known as Madrasah Kamaliah.
A well-known resident of the mosque was the Egyptian Quran teacher Shaik Tholji who was instrumental in popularizing Quran recitals in Perak. He is buried at the Panglima Kinta’s family mausoleum located behind the mosque.
Adjacent to the mosque is located a cottage school built before World War II.
Masjid Panglima Kinta was design by British architect and engineer who also responsible on finishing the build of the mosque. He was also had worked in India and other British empires. The mosque was built with basic materials such as stones and chalk plaster which considered as a modern materials at that time. The mosque was told to be modern among other mosque which was only built using wood for the whole building. Built at the cost of $15,000, the mosque was fully finished its building as it was seen today in the same landmark.
The pulpit of Masjid Panglima Kinta was recognized as the most beautiful sight in the building. It was built by a famous carpenter and sculptor, Mahamed Sopian bin Haji Abdul Wahabdari who coming from Seberang Perai on 1928. The pulpit was built with wood using joinery method with using any nails.
Majis Panglima Kinta building was originally began in 1898 by Datoh Panglima Kinta Mohamed Yusof bin Lasam in memory of his lovely wife who passed away in the same year. Datoh Panglima Kinta Mohamed Yusof bin Lasam planned to build a massive mosque for the use of fellow villagers and to whoever need to perform prayer in the mosque.
Next to the mosque was a religious school which was two-storey wooden building known as Madrasah Kamaliah. The school was built before World War 2 has been restored by Dato’ Haji Mahamed Eusuff bin Mohammed Yusuf from 1951 until 1957 and named after his wife, Hajah Kamaliah binti Haji Abdul Ghani. It was the first religious school in Ipoh that taught Arabic language and Islamis studies in 1950s.
Fakih Ghazali who was a scholar together with Shaik Tholji also a scholar from Egypt were the earliest teacher taught Arabic language and Islamic studies in Ipoh. They taught the villagers explore the Al-Quran and Islamic studies.
The school however was closed in 1970s. After Masjid Panglima Kinta was completed in a few years, tomb building was built for Datoh Panglima Kinta’s family near the mosque. The tomb was built for only the heritages of Datoh Panglima Kinta Mohamed Yusof.
- Wikipedia “Masjid Panglima Kinta” Edited – May 3, 2013
- The Star Online “Heritage building needs upgrading” Manjit Kaur – July 21, 2017
- Ipoh World “Datoh Panglima Kinta Mohamed Yusuff’s Mosque, Ipoh” The Georgetown Dispensary Series, Ipoh – 1905
- Orang Perak.com “Kisah Disebalik Masjid Panglima Kinta Di Kampung Kuchai, Ipoh” Freddie Aziz Jasbindar – July 21, 2017