The triple – storey building has Art-Deco style, designed by a Danish architect, Berthel Micheal Iversen. It was built in 1931 for Mercentile Bank of India, which opened a branch in Ipoh in 1928. However, by 1959,the Hongkong and Shanghai Bank had completely taken over the Mercantile Bank. The building, which retained from the word “Mercantile Bank” and the year “1931” on its frontage, is today becomes an office for business. It is one of the few well-maintained heritage buildings in Old Town. The premises of the Mercantile Bank of India at 15-19 Station Road. (The building was known initially as the Shaik Adam Building but soon became identified with its “anchor tenant.”The Mercantile Bank had arrived in Ipoh in 1928 and first opened for business at 11-13 Station. At the time, there were two other banks on the street: the Chartered Bank in its own new building at 21-27 Station and the Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank renting space in the Straits Trading Company Building at 2 Station.
In 1930, correctly assessing demand for more “prestige” office space on Station Road, the estate of local entrepreneur Shaik Adam decided to tear down its old buildings at 15-19 Station and to build a modern structure there instead. The Singapore-based architectural firm of Keys & Dowdeswell was hired: a few years earlier, it had opened an Ipoh office on Belfield Street; and, fatefully, in 1930, the office was joined by young Danish architect Berthel Michael Iversen