Hongkong and Shanghai banking corporation build their first office in Malaysia on 1884 in Penang. Their second branch was built in Ipoh on 1990 followed by their third branch in Malacca. In 1910, Johor Bahru and Kuala Lumpur had their own branches. The Bank which operated and cantered in Hong Kong, China was first operates as financial investment company for Business Company from Europe.
With the elegant classical style in the late 30s.This beautiful Structure held the title of being the tallest building in Ipoh City for a long time.
Located at the junction of Jalan Sultan Yusuf with Jalan Tun Sambanthan, Ipoh’s Hong Kong Shanghai Bank is one of the historic buildings from the early part of the 20th century that graces the city of Ipoh, and is today part of the Ipoh Heritage Trail.
Constructed in elegant classical style, a building which would not look out of place in London, Manchester or Liverpool. The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation first opened an office in 1910 in a modest wooden building provided by the government. In 1911, HSBC rented space in the Straits Trading Company before moving to its current location in 1931.
The building for Hong Kong & Shanghai office was originally was a wooden building that located nearby Ipoh Post Office. It was then moved to The Straits Trading Company’s building in Stesen Road as known as Dato’ Maharajalela Road in June 1911. The building was finish in 1931 and launched by The King of Perak at the time. The building had been the landmark of Ipoh for its Neo-Renaissance architectural styles until post independent. The unique and interesting design was used to attract bank’s customers and new tenants which consist of professional members, business company and mining company.
The front façade and the architecture styles for the building seemed to be the same as HSBC’s building in Singapore. The building was originally had two level floor where the ground floor was used for bank operation while the second floor was used as a guest room for the higher officer. The additional floor had been built above the second floor where the guest room was use as offices to meet the needs of additional employees and officers there.
Among other peculiarities, this building has a tower at the top of the building that was used as a lookout tower and also made it as the tallest building in Ipoh at that time.
The Decision to open a branches in Penang and Perak.
“The Chairman mentioned that Major McNair who was had recently been administering the Government in Penang, was at present in Hong Kong, strongly recommends the Bank opening agencies in Penang and Perak. His opinion was that ‘if some of the Bank do not provided banking facilities to the Perak’s people, The Straits Govt will probably endeavour to establish a Bank on their own, giving exclusive privilege of note issues.. Etc.
It was resolved to despatch the following telegram to Singapore: WANT OUR GOVERNER SY WE PROPOSE OPENING BRANCH IN PENANG WITH OUR AGENCY IN PERAK IF GOVERNMENT CONSENTS”
Minutes of Board Decision of 21st February 1884.